Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Great Character Shows Up On Sesame Street

I am watching Sesame Street with our daughter. I love the character of Henry Piggins who appeared on the 2004 episode we are watching.  Although not Woody related, I wanted to share info on this character.

Per Muppet Wikipedia, Henry Piggins is a pig who appeared on Sesame Street in a 2004 episode to help Rosita to speak without an accent. He starts off by having Rosita say the phrase, "The pig is big and did a wiggly jig."

Of course, he is a spoof of the famous Henry Higgins character from My Fair Lady. That makes him amusing to me and I hope he is used again in a future episode.

"My Fair Lady is a musical based upon George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion and with book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe. The story concerns Eliza Doolittle, a Cockney flower girl who takes speech lessons from professor Henry Higgins, a phoneticist, so that she may pass as a well born lady," per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Fair_Lady.

This is a great episode of Sesame Street, as many Muppets appear to sing about how it is okay we all speak differently from one another. The famous yip yip aliens even appear to sing, too!

For more info on Henry Piggins, visit http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Piggins.

No comments:

Post a Comment